Site Meter The Lawyer Trader: Joe Satriani and Leslie West

Friday, November 7, 2008

Joe Satriani and Leslie West

Boy, my ears are ringing this morning. I went to the Joe Satriani concert last night at the House of Blues in Dallas...f.y.i. an excellent venue. For those non-guitar players that are unfamiliar with him, he's one of the greatest guitar players in the world and arguably one of the best ever.

Opening for Mr. Satriani was Mountain, whose front man Leslie West is also an amazing guitar player and quite a good singer as well. You might know Mountain's one big radio hit "Mississippi Queen." (I'm pretty sure its picking up popularity with the young crowd because of the songs appearance in Guitar Hero).

At the end of the show, Leslie West came out and played along side of Satriani for a couple of songs. What amazed me was the amount of respect Satriani had for Leslie West and for that matter a couple of other well known guitar players that he mentioned during the show. Although more famous and technically even a better guitar player, Satriani had no problem stepping back and letting Leslie West take center stage. It's great to see people like Satriani that just seem to be grateful to be in the league he's in and not have a big head or ego about it.

These same principles can certainly be applied to the worlds of business and trading. Those that stop acting grateful and respectful towards their colleagues and even the market as a whole tend to suffer from over-blown egos and ultimately they fall pretty hard. I'm going to keep a picture from the concert in my desk for a while as reminder of Satriani's respect and hopefully it will help keep me in line a little.

I haven't even looked at the market today, so I have no idea as to what's going on in the world today...will probably take the rest of the day off and read the headlines and blogs this weekend to see what I missed.

Good luck out there.

TLT

No comments: