Site Meter The Lawyer Trader: An Idea for Some Pro Bono Legal Work

Monday, April 27, 2009

An Idea for Some Pro Bono Legal Work

Here's a post from Zen Habits, an excellent blog that I frequently check. Leo Babauta, the creator of Zen Habits, posted the following article today:

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway (or, the Privatization of the English Language)

Today I received an email from the lawyers of author Susan Jeffers, PhD., notifying me that I’d infringed on her trademark by inadvertently using the phrase “feel the fear and do it anyway” in my post last week, A Guide to Beating the Fears That Hold You Back.

The phrase, apparently, is the title of one of her books … a book I’d never heard of. I wasn’t referring to her book. I’m not using the phrase as a title of a book or product or to sell anything. I was just referring to something a friend said on Twitter.

Her lawyers asked me to insert the (R) symbol after the phrase, in my post, and add this sentence: “This is the registered trademark of Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. and is used with her permission.”

Yeah. I’m not gonna do that.

...
I'm not gonna start ripping on Trade Mark and Patent attorneys, but I will say shame on Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. That is just ridiculous. Leo, if she files suit on you, I'll step up and do a little pro bono (for free) legal work for you...just say the word.

TLT

No comments: