Site Meter The Lawyer Trader: Bears Beware?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bears Beware?

We saw a wicked rally yesterday and a substantial gap up this morning but, unfortunately for the bulls, prices plunged this afternoon.  That little rally was enough to inflict some pain on the shorts, me included, as I got to watch prices gap right through some of my stops and take me out of some positions that ultimately would have been great to have at the end of the day...kind of an insult to injury but that's part of the game.  
SPY Daily
 Technically, stocks still registered a higher high and a higher low, so there's still some hope for the bulls, but I think we're heading lower.  My indicators are calling for lower lows and fortunately, I've still got some shorts on the table...I got knocked out of my TZA (3X small cap bear) position but I'm still in the slightly tamer SDS (Ultra Short S&P). 

So should the Bears Beware?  Obviously, I don't think so and I've got my money where my mouth is.  That being said, there's always the chance of being wrong which is why using stops (even when you get whip sawed) and proper position sizing is so important.  The best trades tend to be at inflection points, where the market looks like it will go either way, because those are the spots that offer the best risk to reward.  The key is to have a reason (indicator, system, guru to follow, etc) that helps you determine which side to be on and  is right often enough to make money.  So my system is pointing down..we'll see how it plays out.

Hope everyone's having a great week so far.

TLT

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Find out how 1,000's of people like YOU are making a LIVING from home and are fulfilling their dreams right NOW.
SUBSCRIBE NOW