Site Meter The Lawyer Trader: Outta Gold and Into Utilities and Some Random Observations

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Outta Gold and Into Utilities and Some Random Observations

I bailed on my short gold position today as it broke through my stop. It's showing quite a bit of momentum and it traded on decent volume today. I'm out for now and will look at going short again once (or if) it approaches the recent lows. Here's a daily chart:You can see that gold bounced off the 50% retracement level and then failed to make lower lows. We'll see if it chops around or takes off higher. One thing to note is that Silver (slv) has been very strong this week...it has been at the top of my relative strength list for 2 days in a row now.

I did manage to get in utilities (XLU) today. This is a support test trade which means I'm betting that the recent support will hold. The weakness over the past week has offered a good risk to reward entry and as always, we'll see how it works out. Here's the daily chart for XLU:Note that I labeled the support a zone, this is because I don't like pinpointing the exact price but rather a thin zone for support/resistance trades. The stochastic is in oversold territory, which is essential for this type of trade.

Other things to take notice of are the extreme strength in both energy (xle) and materials (xlb). As for materials, FCX and DOW have been particularly strong. There was some weakness in tech (qqqq, xlk, smh) but that's not surprising given the strength that the sector has shown recently.

Last but not least, the dollar (uup), which I'm still long, continues to chop around with little significant moves in either direction. Long term yields pushed higher today which helped my short long term bond (TBT) position. I'll be back later in the week with more.

I hope everyone's off to a good start for 2010.

TLT

No comments: